Wednesday, October 3, 2012

doubts


Mom walking through the city park.
 I recently went to New Orleans for the first time ever. It has been on my list of places to see, but it was one of those places that I wasn't just dying to see...I just knew that I should see it. It became even clearer to me that this was the case when one of my favorite singer/song writers, Steve Earle, said something like "I don't care what people say about Austin; New Orleans is where the music is at." It's mystifying and enchanting. It's almost supernatural how an entire city can survive numerous fires and floods as it sinks further and further below sea level. Yet people continue to pull together and carry on the rich flavor - not able to let go of the magnificent city. I did not understand this before going to New Orleans. Now I do understand. But I do wonder how much longer people will be able to sustain life here...how much water can they continue to pump out of the city every day? How tall can they build the levees?


Fixin' up some fine shrimp po' boy sandwiches!



The food that we dined upon was out of this world. We at at several dives that served shrimp po' boys and muffeuettas, and we at at the other end of the spectrum - enjoying fine crab, jambalaya, polenta, and fried green tomatoes!










 
Cafe Au Lait and Beignets at Cafe Du Monde







Mitch and I always talk about how one of our favorite things about traveling is the food! (Of course, this can be one of the worst things about traveling as well) We definitely picked a top-notch place to go to satisfy our taste buds.

Zydeco Night at the Rock N' Bowl





Of course another favorite of our trip to Nola was the music!We watched in amazement as musicians and dancers worked their magic in various night clubs and dance halls. We were lucky enough to be able to listen to a traditional Zydeco band play at a bowling alley one night. We gave our best shot at learning the steps so that we could fit in on the dance floor, but we were hopeless! Who would have thought that Louisianians don't do the Texas two-step!

New Orleans Cotton Mouth Kings at The Spotted Cat


I would have to agree with Steve Earle on this one - that New Orleans knows music. Whether it was a group of friends meeting up and performing on a sidewalk to make a few extra bucks, or whether it was band playing on a proper stage - the city is overflowing with talent and soul.




I guess with all the opportunities that surround them, there better be at least a few talented musicians! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment